Sunday, November 7, 2010

Award Winning Chili

I am quite proud to say that I took the top honors last night at Pax Christi's annual chili cook-off. They had a panel of three judges and the judges did not know who made the chili. They put the chili in seperate bowls and put numbers on the bowls and then took those bowls to the judges. Only one person had the master list of who the chili belonged to. One of the judges came in 3rd place with her own chili! She said she didn't even realize it was her chili when she was tasting it......hmmmm.....I think there were approximately 30 chilis there. So there was a wide variety.
I have had several people ask me for the recipe. If you watch The Food Network I cook like Rachel Ray. Well, I guess I shouldn't say I cook like her, because I am not that good, but I really don't measure things. I sort of "eyeball it" like she does....So I am going to do my best to guess correctly here on the measurements. I am not as organized as Mandy is either, so you won't find the step by step pictures like she does.  Maybe one of these days.......


Ingredients:
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 lb. italian sausage (I use HOT)
1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
3-4 tablespoons chili powder
1-2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
pinch of cayenne pepper
3-15.5 oz. chili hot beans
1-12 oz. tomato paste
2-14.5 oz. petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 bottle lite beer
1 bottle of Bloody Mary mix (I use Mr. & Mrs. T)


In a large pot start browning the sausage and ground beef. When it is almost done add the onion and half of the spices (2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon onion powder, 1/2 tablespoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and the pinch of cayenne pepper). Stir frequently until meat is brown and the onion is softened. Add the bottle of beer, cover with lid and let simmer over low/medium heat for about 30 minutes. Add the two cans of diced tomatoes and the remaining spices (2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon onion powder, 1/2 tablespoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes). Cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili beans, and bloody mary mix. The amount of bloody mary mix that you use will depend on how thick or thin you want your chili. Let this cook an additional hour or so. ENJOY!!!


Y PAM

No comments:

Post a Comment