Thursday, July 14, 2011

T is for Time

Most of us don't exercise because we say we don't have enough time.  I know I use that excuse A LOT!  Have you ever sat down and really taken a good look at what you do during the day?  Take a piece of paper and write down everything you do from the time the alarm goes off (not when you actually get out of bed, but when the alarm FIRST goes off in the morning) until your head hits the pillow at night.
 
Here is what my day looked like:

5:15am - alarm goes off.  Hit the snooze button.
5:30am - should get up, but hit the snooze button again.
5:45am - ok, just 5 more minutes and I will get up.
6:00am - if I don't get up now I'm going to be late for work.

If I had gotten up at 5:15 when the alarm first went off I could have exercised for at least 30 minutes.  45 minutes wasted and I haven't even gotten out of bed yet!

6:00am - 7:00am - get ready for work.  I really don't waste any time here.  By the time I shower, brush my teeth, dry my hair, make Lance go outside, etc. it's time to leave for work.

7:00am - 7:45am - drive to work.  I could see about joining a van pool again.  I was able to put my makeup on, read, etc., but I didn't enjoy when the van was full and I would get stuck in the middle.  I think I will continue to drive myself.  After all I can listen to a book on tape and still put my makeup on, but only when I am stopped at a red light!  ;)

8:00am - 4:00pm - Work....not much I can do about that.  I could go for a walk on my two 15-minute breaks that we are supposed to get.  I could also walk during lunch.  There is a Church right next door to our office building that has a walking track, so I can't use the excuse that it's too hot or too cold.

4:00pm - 4:45pm - drive back to Lexington and get my sister and go to visit mom.  We have been doing this almost every day since she fell.  I feel guilty if I don't go every day, but I am going to start going every other day.  A co-worker and I are going back to Zumba on Tuesday and Thursday.  It was cancelled this week.....We are off to a good start!  LOL!

I usually get home between 8:00pm and 8:30pm.  By the time I get home I am so exhausted that I don't feel like doing anything.  I try to do some things around the house, laundry, straightening up, etc., but I usually end up plopping my behind on the couch and staying there until about 10:00pm.  Then I get everything ready for the next day and go to bed. 

So there it is.  My day.  Weekends are usually worse.  Instead of getting up early and exercising or cleaning house, I stay in bed and then get mad at myself because I could have gotten up early and I would have been done with all those chores.  Oh well!  Why do we need to clean the house anyway??  It's just going to get dirty again!

When that alarm goes off in the morning I am going to get up and go for a run!  I'll let you know in the next post whether I actually do it or not!

Until then, no more wasting time!!


Y PAM

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.

Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment