Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Daith Piercing


On April 7, 2016 I posted on Facebook that I had a migraine and that I was on my way to the doctor to try and find some relief.  I was having 3-5 migraines a week.  Some would only last a few hours and some would last for days.  Sometimes I could find relief by taking medications (either prescription or over the counter), using ice packs, laying down in a completely dark and cool room and sometimes I would find myself in the ER because nothing would ease the pain.

A few people responded to my FB post and told me about the Daith Piercing.  What were these people talking about?  I had never heard of it.  So I googled it!  There is a lot of information about it, but there is very little research.  I read everything I could find and talked to a few people that had it done.

When I woke up on Friday, April 8, I still had a migraine, so that is when I decided to have it done.  I went to a tattoo parlor close to our home that someone recommended.  The place was very clean and the people were very professional.  I told them what I wanted done and I filled out some paperwork and within a few minutes I was taken back to a room.  Mikie introduced himself and showed me everything that he was going to use and how it was done.  He marked my ears (I had both of them done - I'll explain later why) where the piercing would be done and then had me lay down.  He did the right ear first.  That wasn't so bad.  Hurt a little, but it was done.  On to the left ear.  OH.MY.GOODNESS.  The left one hurt really, really, really BAD!  I thought he was going to have to pry me off the ceiling!!

The reason why I had both ears done - I read that you should pierce the ear on the side where you usually get your migraines.  I usually get them on the left side, but I didn't want to take a chance that the migraines would move to the right, so I had both of them done.  I'm thinking the reason the left one hurt so bad is because that's the side my migraines were on and I had one at the time.  After he pierced my left ear my migraine was gone......Also, the pain from the piercing only lasted for a few seconds.

It has been over 4 months since the piercing and I have been migraine/headache free since that day!  I have had 2 "episodes" since the piercing.  I'm really not sure how to explain these.  Sometimes right before a migraine I would get "auras" - flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars.  That happened about a month after the piercing.  I just knew they were back.  It happened on my way home from work.  So as soon as I got home, I got my ice pack and headed for bed.  I stayed like that for about 30 minutes and it was gone and no migraine followed!!!  The second one I started getting pressure around my eyes and my eyes hurt like they did when I got a migraine.  The pressure moved down to my neck and shoulders.  I took a couple of aleve and twisted the earrings a little and within an hour it was gone.

So if you suffer from migraines, headaches or anxiety, I highly recommend the daith piercing.  It has worked for me so far.  I just wish I had known about this 30 years ago!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment